Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Career Change

I received  an e-mail from my AC  right after I posted Shirley's last report card . So I wanted to wait a bit before announcing this news Shirley has been career changed, and that she will be put up for adoption. Not every puppy is destined to become a guide dog.We had worked on a few trouble areas with Shirley. With everyday exposure her anxiety was very low, but still existent. But she just never truly relaxed in large crowds, and her innate fear of small children she never outgrew. And at SEGD's no dog is made to do any thing they are not comfortable with. I was sad and a little disappointed that Shirley did not become a breeder dog or a guide dog, but I knew that SEGD's tough decisions on Shirley were the right ones. The adoption program at the school is awesome and I was reassured she would only go to a loving home.  We were offered the chance to adopt Shirley, and although I love Shirley I don't think it would be fair to Shirley, since we have Newman . Shirley would not be able to go anywhere with Newman, since he would be in coat/cape. Also, the hectic schedule that my parents, Newman, and I have  would have Shirley in a crate for several hours a day and or alone, which is not fair for Shirley at all. Any public time I could give Shirley walks and parks would put her in the situation (kids and crowds)she'd much rather avoid . Wherever Shirley goes she will please her owners and will make a great family dog.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about Shirley. That is one of the worst e-mails to get. Southeastern does have an amazing adoption program and they find the perfect person for each dog. My 5th puppy was career changed and ended up with a nice man who got the phone call about Rocky on the 1 year anniversary of his mom passing away. Rocky is spoiled and gets to play at the park and go out on boat several times a week. I have been blessed to be able to stay in contact with his new family. I know Shirley will get a loving family who will adore her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience. It is reassuring to hear a good outcome

    ReplyDelete